A few weeks back I showed you my Winter Wonderland craft supplies, including my pretty wool tops for needle felting. Needle felting is a craft that uses special barbed needles, where the barbs on the needles catch the scales on the fibre and push them through the layers of wool, tangling and binding them together to create a felt. It is a great technique for creating 2D and 3D felt shapes.
Today I share with you the needle felted roses I have been making to adorn my Christmas yarn wreath and decorate my Christmas tree with. I made them in various sizes by altering the number of felted hearts I used in the roses. I also made some leaves with green merino tops.
I used a pen-style needle felting tool with a guard on it, which prevents punching the needles too far into the mat. You can find the equipment you will need to make the roses for purchase in my Amazon store.
Needle felt roses
What you will need:
- Undyed merino wool tops
- Antique pink roving
- Teal merino wool tops
- Pale jade merino wool tops
- Moss green merino wool tops
- PVA glue
- Pink, aqua, white & Teal glitter
Glittery needle felt roses, How-to step by step
- Cut the wool tops so they are about 2-3 inches long and pull apart so you have tiny bits of fluff that look like cotton wool
- Place paper and mould on mat, fill mold with fluff
- Start by repeatedly punching needles into wool starting at edges
- Continue needle punching the felt until all loose strands are no longer visible.
- Remove mould and peel felted heart away from paper.
- Place paper and mould back onto the mat and place felted heart upside down in mould
- Needle punch the felt until all loose strands are no longer visible
- Repeat steps 1-8 until you have felted 2 small hearts, 4 medium hearts and 5 large hearts
- Place two small hearts on mat as picture above and push needles into felted hearts until they are felted together
- Fold outside heart in half and push needles into felt until they are felted together
- Fold second heart in half and push needles into felt until they are felted together
- Place inner rose to one side
- Now place four medium hearts on to mat, laid out as above
- Push needles into felt until they are felted together and place to one side
- Now place five of the large felted hearts on to mat, laid out as above
- Push needles into felt until they are felted together
- Place felted medium hearts onto large hearts, push needles into felt until they are felted together
- Place inner rose in centre of felted hearts, push needles into felt until they are felted together
- To make the leaves, use same technique as rose petals
- Place leaf in place and push needles into felt until leaf is secured
- Paint PVA glue to outer edges of petals on rose
- Sprinkle glued areas with glitter, turn rose upside down and tap lightly to remove any excess glitter
Have a sweet day!