Yesterday I showed you the Hello Kitty princess castle birthday cake I made for my niece Molly's birthday. I also bought a bright pink Hello Kitty cupcake stand and Hello Kitty cupcake wrappers for Molly. I filled them with gluten-free lemon & raspberry cream cupcakes decorated with chocolate Hello Kitty and bunny heads.
Gluten-free lemon cupcakes (makes 24 cupcakes)
- 3 large eggs (200g eggs)
- 200g gluten-free self raising flour
- 200g unsalted butter (2 cups), softened
- 200g caster sugar
- 2 tbsp milk
- Juice and zest of one large unwaxed lemon
- Heat oven to 190C (fan 170C) or gas mark 5
- Line baking tray with cases
- In a food mixer, beat all the ingredients until you have a smooth, soft batter
- Divide batter between the cases
- Bake for about 25 mins until cakes bounce back when lightly pressed
- Place on rack to cool
Raspberry cream icing (makes 24 cupcakes)
- Double cream (heavy cream)
- 15 fresh raspberries
- Pinch of caster sugar
- Lightly whip the double cream with the caster sugar
- Using a food processor or fork, mash the raspberries
- Add the crushed raspberries to the whipped cream and whip till you have an even pink colour
- Pipe a swirl of raspberry cream on to cooled cakes
I made the Hello Kitty decorations out of white chocolate. Using my Hello Kitty moulds, I first filled the bows with melted, red-coloured chocolate and left them to set. I then filled the moulds with melted white chocolate and left them to set. I filled the "eye" holes with melted black chocolate and carefully piped the whiskers using the same black chocolate. The nose was painted yellow with food colouring.
Have a sweet day!